Photo by f_shields
Yep, it's St. Patrick's Day! So let's talk about living green. Because that's not at all cliche to talk about today, is it?
I'm in the midst of some mildly consuming spring cleaning (gently led step-by-practical-step by Clean Mama), and as I've cleaned and sorted, I've noticed that there is a definite palpable energy that arrives with spring. I want to tap into that energy and unearth a green goal that has been buried on my "I Should Do That" list.
Anyone else up for a challenge?
Let's call it Project: Spring Green, and let's start today!
To honor the earth and it's delightful display of green, choose one goal that would bless your family and the planet, and throughout the month of April, we'll all work on this goal together.
Here are some ideas to help jump-start the challenge:
1. Go paperless in the kitchen (Maya's column at Simple Mom has great practical pointers).
3. Follow the lead of Simple Mom and work towards a paperless home.
4. Go non-toxic in your cleaning (here are some practical ideas from Organizing Your Way: Easy Natural Bathroom Cleaners and Tips).
5. Watch The Story of Stuff and
- Commit to buying local for one month.
- Commit to buying secondhand for one month.
- Commit to a no-spend month. (Rachel usually does her No-Spend challenge in the summer, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a personal no-spend challenge any time!)
6. Try a more natural approach to personal care (perhaps by educating yourself on dangerous personal care products, ditching your shampoo, exploring the Oil Cleansing Method, or discovering beauty products in the kitchen.)
8. For something really, really easy and accessible, commit to replacing just one disposable with something reusable in your home. For a comprehensive list of ideas, read Amy's Ditch the Disposables list at Crunchy Domestic Goddess.
* My own personal goal will be to start composting. *
Once you have chosen your goal, we'll give ourselves two weeks to prepare. This will be plenty of time to research or gather materials or even just psyche ourselves up for the challenge.
Two weeks from today, on March 31st, we'll officially start working towards our green goal. The challenge will continue throughout the month of April, and then we'll come together at the end of April to celebrate!
If you want to come alongside me in this pursuit, leave a comment here telling me what your Project: Spring Green goal will be.
For more inspiration and celebrations of green living - then and now, read the entries at this month's Carnival of Natural Living hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama.
Can't wait to hear what this challenge will inspire for you!